Equipping Police and Fire to Fight the Opioid Epidemic
ILEAS and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) are partnering on a grant entitled: Rural IL Opioid Overdose Prevention Initiative – Naloxone Distribution – 2019
This grant is an expansion of the highly successful Naloxone Distribution grant that started distribution in 2018.
The goal of the grant is to provide, in 18 select counties in Southern Illinois, training with, and distribution of NARCAN Nasal Spray, a drug that can reverse the effects of an opioid overdose to Law Enforcement and Fire Department first responders.
The grant will also provide follow up care, referrals and care coordination in the targeted counties. Other agencies involved are the Illinois Department of Human Services Division of Alcohol and Substance Abuse, Heartland Human Services and Bethany Place.
The targeted counties are: Christian, Clay, Crawford, Edwards, Effingham, Fayette, Greene, Jasper, Jefferson, Lawrence, Marion, Montgomery, Perry, Randolph, Richland, Wabash, Washington, and Wayne.
Law Enforcement and Fire Agencies (in the above counties): As the process develops, ILEAS will contact your agency to guide you through the process and provide training as necessary. Agencies are not required to have signed a mutual aid agreement to participate in this grant.
Summary of Requirements and Process
|1) Sign/return the Distribution Agreement|
|2) Complete and return officer list (as requested)|
|3) ILEAS will enter officers into online Learning system (LMS)|
|4) ILEAS will provide instructions in use of LMS (as necessary)|
|5) Take and pass training (as necessary)|
|6) Join ODMAP as an agency (we will assist)|
|7) Join ODMAP as level 1 user (we will assist)|
|8) ILEAS sends NARCAN|
|9) Administer NARCAN|
|10) Report on ODMAP at location|
|11) Request refill|
|12) Fill out DOPP report|
|13) Communicate with support agency|
Conference Packet and Project Links:
- Conference Packet
- Grant Press Release
- ODMAP Website
- ILEAS NARCAN Nasal Spray Distribution Agreement
- ILEAS/IDPH Grant Agency Staff Request Form
- Illinois Department of Human Services - Division of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse: Overdose Reversal and Naloxone Administration Reporting Form
- IDHS: Division of Substance Abuse Prevention and Recovery Training - Approval Letter
- IDPH: "Naloxone First Responder Training Course" meets grant requirements - Approval Letter
- State of Illinois - Opioid Action Plan
- IDPH Naloxone Information
- University of Illinois Video on Overdose in Working Dogs
Contact: ILEAS @ 217-328-3800