Equipping Police to Fight the Opioid Epidemic
ILEAS and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) are partnering on a grant entitled: Empowering and Equipping Law Enforcement and Communities in Rural Illinois to Reduce Opioid Overdose.
The goal of the grant is to provide, in 18 select counties in Southern Illinois, training to Law Enforcement first responders and equip them with NARCAN Nasal Spray, a drug that can reverse the effects of an opioid overdose.
The grant will also provide follow up care, referrals and care coordination in the targeted counties. Other agencies involved are the Illinois Department of Human Services Division of Alcohol and Substance Abuse, Heartland Human Services, Bethany Place and the Illinois Broadcasters Association.
The targeted counties are: Christian, Clay, Crawford, Edwards, Effingham, Fayette, Greene, Jasper, Jefferson, Lawrence, Marion, Montgomery, Perry, Randolph, Richland, Wabash, Washington, and Wayne.
Law Enforcement Agencies (in the above counties): As the process develops, ILEAS will contact your agency to guide you through the process and provide training. Agencies are not required to have signed a mutual aid agreement to participate in this grant.
Summary of Requirements and Process
|1) Sign/return the Distribution Agreement||5) Take and pass training|
|2) Complete and return officer list||7) Join ODMAP as level 1 user (we will assist)|
|3) ILEAS will enter officers into online Learning system (LMS)||8) ILEAS sends NARCAN|
|4) ILEAS will provide instructions in use of LMS||9) Administer NARCAN|
|6) Join ODMAP as an agency (we will assist)||10) Report on ODMAP at location|
|12) Fill out DOPP report||11) Request refill|
|13) Communicate with support agency|
Conference Packet and Project Links:
- Conference Packet
- Grant Press Release
- ODMAP Website
- ILEAS NARCAN Nasal Spray Distribution Agreement
- ILEAS/IDPH Grant Agency Staff Request Form
- Illinois Department of Human Services - Division of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse: Overdose Reversal and Naloxone Administration Reporting Form
- IDHS: Division of Substance Abuse Prevention and Recovery Training - Approval Letter
- IDPH: "Naloxone First Responder Training Course" meets grant requirements - Approval Letter
- State of Illinois - Opioid Action Plan
- IDPH Naloxone Information
- University of Illinois Video on Overdose in Working Dogs
Contact: ILEAS @ 217-328-3800