The National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) was created from a post-9/11 world in which the United States Government reorganized and restructured the Intelligence Community in order to protect and secure our nation from terrorist attacks. One of the subgroups of the NCTC is the Joint Counterterrorism Assessment Team who develop products that help aid law enforcement in the fight against terrorism. Those products are the result of soliciting input from federal, state and using lessons learned from critical incidents, after action reports, and best practices from those who actively engage in mitigating those events. One such product is the First Responder Toolbox collection. First Responder Toolbox is an ad hoc, unclassified reference aid intended to promote counterterrorism coordination among federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government authorities and partnerships with private sector officials. This collection provides suggested best practices and guides for deterring, preventing, disrupting, responding to and mitigating terrorist attacks. This link will provide you with 36 different such guides: https://www.dni.gov/index.php/nctc-how-we-work/joint-ct-assessment-team/first-responder-toolbox
There are nine local Bomb Teams (aka EOD Teams) across Illinois that ILEAS supports. Each of those teams has a Remotec Andros robot - ILEAS having purchased and deployed four of these nearly $200,000 robots. Every year ILEAS hosts a robot maintenance depot. For this entire week, a representative engineer for Remotec sets up shop at the ILEAS Training Center. Bomb Team technicians from teams across Illinois bring their robots to the ITC for maintenance. Each robot is disassembled and thoroughly cleaned & repaired if necessary. These robots are life saving devices for EOD team members. Since their use is so critical, being properly maintained and repaired is very important. This maintenance service is free to any recognized EOD team in Illinois. Click read more to see photos.
As everyone knows, ILEAS is working to get EVERY Breath Alcohol Operator (BAO) re-certified before December 31, 2019. Since last March (2019) ILEAS has processed over 2,000 BAO recertifications. Out of that 2,000, 1,500 have been processed in the last week! However, there are still thousands yet to recertify. ILEAS encourages EVERY agency in Illinois to begin the process of recertifications immediately. We strongly suggest that EVERY operator, even if they are under the three year limit, get recertified thereby extending their expiration date out an additional three years.
This is what the general process will be between now and December 31st:
- ILEAS has uploaded the entire database of known users that we received from ISP.
- Each agency should log into their ILEAS account and review that list.
- From there each agency will be able to update its list by removing or adding operators and adding some required information (ILETSB PTB ID, current email, etc.)
- Detailed instructions are online.
- Each agency will officially certify that their list of eligible operators is accurate.
- Once that is confirmed, your operator will receive an email from the ILEAS system directing them to log into the LMS to take the training/test and print out a current certificate.
- This process will be available for any operator under the four-year limit.